Updated: Apr 27, 2020
4 cups low salt Veggie stock
2 red onions, diced
2 red peppers, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
1 cup of diced carrots
2 cans tomatoes, diced, 15 to 16oz cans
1 can chickpeas, drained, 16oz can
1/4 cup dried cherries, diced
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms of choice
1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and cleaned
3 catfish fillets, cut into 2-inch slices
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green chili sliced into rings, seeds removed
salt to taste
Now for the spices - I used this spice mixture I made up for my Moroccan BBQ chicken: so you are going to make allot and only use about 2 tablespoons for this dish but it is great on meats too.
2 teaspoons of cardamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons mace
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Mix well in a jar and then pull out 2 tablespoons for this dish and save the rest.
1. In a deep soup pot place 1 of the diced onions along with 1 tablespoon of oil, saute until soft over medium-high heat.
2. Now add the cherries and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the pot.
3. In the same pot add the remaining onion along with the carrots, celery, peppers, and the remaining oil. Saute until soft.
4. Now add the tomatoes, stock, the 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture and the chickpeas, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Now add the catfish and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Next add the shrimp, stir, cover, and turn off the heat. Let stand covered for 5 to 7 minutes, until shrimps are cooked through and tender.
7. Add parsley, stir and serve. Garnish with the green chili rings.