Spicy Red Lentil Soup
Updated: Apr 27
3 cups red Lentils
4 medium Parsnips, peal and chunky diced
1 large onion, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes, 15 to 16oz
1 can tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, Italian
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper(we like its spicy so i use i bit more)
salt and pepper to taste
10 cups of water
1. Melt butter over medium high heat in a deep soup pot.
2. Next add onions and peppers and saute until soft, about 5 minutes, followed by all the spices, saute for an additional minute.
3. Now add the parsnips and the garlic and saute for an addition 2 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, all the tomatoes and the water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour on a very low heat: tasting and adjusting the seasoning as you go.
5. Once the soup is thick and the parsnips are soft the soup is done.
6. Add the parsley before serving with a nice baguette.