Updated: Apr 27, 2020
1 cup of blanched almonds
3.5 oz bar of Green and Blacks 70% cocoa bar
2 sticks of unsalted butter
9 egg whites - keep the yolks for another recipe
1 cup on unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
zest of two limes
2 tablespoons of raw local honey
1/2 cups of Green and Blacks cocoa powder
1/2 tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoons of powder sugar
OK, there are a lot of steps to this recipe.
1. Place in the food processor the almonds and a tablespoon from the cup of flour, grind until a fine powder,
2. Over medium-high heat brown the butter, the butter is brown when it gives off a nutty butterscotch aroma, remove from heat, and set aside.
3. In a double boiler melt the chocolate, like in my other recipes remove from heat just before all the chocolate as melted and stir until smooth.
4. In another double boiler, actually I just use mixing bowls over a pot of water. Now the water is not boiling below its just shimmering. OK in another bowl over the water place the egg white, powder sugar (2 1/2 cups), honey and lime zest and whisk until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warm, remove from heat.
5. In another bowl whisk all of the dry ingredients with the exception of the 2 tablespoons of powder sugar.
6. Next, add the egg mixture bowl to the stand mixer and place it on the whisk attachment: slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the egg mixture; the mixture will become thick. Keep whisking until smooth.
7. OK here is the tough part and you must do this slowly or the end result will be greasy. With the mixer on low add about 1/4 of the warm brown butter to the batter, do not add the next 1/4 cup and so on until the one before it has been completely incorporated. Take your time with the butter do not rush this part. Once all the butter has been incorporated add the melted chocolate; whisk until smooth.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
8. Spray or line cupcake tins and spoon in batter until cups are 1/2 full. Bake until the cupcakes have racked and they are springy to touch about 15 minutes. Note: rotate cupcakes halfway through the baking process.
9. Remove from Oven transfer to a cooling rack and dust with powder sugar.