Updated: Apr 27, 2020
2 2/3 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup Half and Half
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter plus 1 stick for the wash
1 tablespoon molasses
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 package of active dry yeast
2 tablespoons of water at 105 to 155 degrees
1. Warm the half and half add to that the 2 tablespoons of butter, molasses, and salt. Once the butter has melted and the half and half.
2. Melt the stick of butter and set aside.
3. Grease a bowl in prep of the dough.
4. Now add the 2 tablespoons of water to the yeast and stir. Once it has started to foam up add it to the half and half mixture. Stir to combine. Now whisk in the egg.
5. Next start adding the flour to the mixture and at a certain point, you will no longer be able to mix in the flour with a spoon you will need to knead it in with your hands. Depending on all sorts of things you may not need all the flour. Form dough into a ball and place in the greased bowl, brush with the melted butter and cover with a damp towel and set aside to rise.
6. Grease a muffin tin of the next step and preheat the oven to 425 degrees
7. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and remove it from the bowl. Now divide the dough into about 1 inch balls and place 3 balls each into each of the muffin tins. Brush with more melted butter and cover with a damp towel. Note: I put empty spice jars on the tin so that the towel would be to laying directly on the dough.
8. Once the dough has doubled in size again, bake for about 15 minutes or until the rolls start to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and remove the rolls from the muffin tin - Serve.
Note: for a sweeter roll increase the molasses - for a hot cross bun sweetness increase it to a 1/4 cup.