Red Velvet Cookie
1/3 cup of Green & Green powder cocoa
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
pinch of salt
4 large eggs
2 cups of raw sugar
1 teaspoon of real vanilla extract
2 table spoons of red food coloring
4oz of cream cheese – soften
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 to a 1/3 cup heavy cream – it depends on how thick you like your icing
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, powder cocoa and salt.
2. In stand mixer cream together butter and sugar until light.
3. Now add the eggs, vanilla, red food coloring and beat until smooth.
4. Add flour mixture a third at a time. Once all combined, remove bowl from mixer, cover and chill for at least 4 hours, it is best over night.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. With your hands, roll the dough into 1 inch balls, place on parchment lined cookie sheets, about 2 inches part, slightly flatten to prevent them from rolling around. Only roll enough at a time to bake, these do not do well if they sit a room temp prior to baking.
6. Bake for about 12 minutes; once the start to crackle on top and the surface is dry to the touch. You should be able to lift the edge of a cookie with a spatula and it holds together. Note: cooking time varies, when i made these in NYC it took about 12 minutes, But when i made them here in the Poconos it took about 15 minutes
7. Remove from the oven and with a bit of quickness slide the cookies and parchment paper from cookie sheet onto a cooling rack.
8. While cookies are cooling place all the ingredients for the icing into a bowl and blend until smooth - now I do not like a real sweet icing, if the icing is not sweet enough for you just add more sugar. Frost cooled cookies and enjoy.
9. You can also sandwich the cookies if you like, too.