Updated: Nov 14, 2020
6 Cups of roughly chopped tomatoes or 12 cups of cherry tomatoes
2 cups of fresh, low salt chicken stock
2 cups of whole milk
1 1/2 cup of diced onions
1 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup rice
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 table spoons unsalted butter
2 table spoons curry powder
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
Tobasco to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
A toasted thin slice of baguette for the top
1. In a deep soup pot melt butter, next, add the onions and saute until soft.
2. Now add the garlic stirring for 30 seconds, reduce heat, and add curry powder. stirring for about 2 minutes: note you do not want the garlic to burn.
3. Next add tomatoes, stock, rice bay leaf, a sprig of thyme: then to taste the Tobasco, salt, and pepper. Partly cover and simmer for about 35 to 45 minutes.
4. Remove soup from heat and let cool enough to handle, pour into a large bowl.
5. In small batches puree in the food processor followed by straining the soup back into the soup pot tossing the solids.
6. Once all pureed and strained, add milk and cream, bring a boil, remove from heat and serve.
I place a few slices of toasted baguette on top of the soup before serving. The soup also tastes great cold: once remove from heat let it cool to room temp, then place in the fridge to cool completely.